Friday, January 4, 2013

Is it all so very simple and horribly complex?

Horribly complex or awfully complex

I'm feeling particularly pensive today and I'm trying to ignore the one thing I really need to write about, so here have extra fun posts because I haven't posted in a while anyway.

The song originally goes, "Is it all so very simple and horribly complex?" In terms of blog titles, I prefer awfully as the leading word over horribly. Purely an aesthetic reason. But there is some difference in semantics which might be interesting to delve into.

Horribly, though overused a lot, connects to the word "horror", which holds a special place in my heart just because of its attempt to describe something so terrible. Awful, on the other hand, is more annoyance-based than fear-based (or disgust-based), at least for me. Awful is less strong than horrible. This may not actually hold true but it's always the impression it had on me. It's less of a dramatic word. 

Horribly complex is more right than awfully complex.

But we try to keep a cheery attitude here so.

Anyway it's not the right blog title anymore. I still hold that line close to my heart but it needs to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment